The Varsity Letter in Community Service
Stillwater Area Schools has partnered with Community Thread to recognize and reward students for their volunteer efforts in the community by offering a Varsity Letter in Community Service. The program started last school year as a way to recognize students for their efforts to make a difference locally and around the world. In the 2014-15 school year, 53 students earned their varsity letter collectively contributing more than 6,500 hours to their community.
To earn the letter, students must complete at least 100 hours of community service, with half of that time spent working with a specific cause. In the past, students volunteered with local churches, senior centers, hunger-related organizations, and took part in mission’s trips around the world. In addition to completing the hours, students must obtain two letters of recommendation and complete a reflection project about their service.
The President's Volunteer Service Award is separate from the Varsity Letter in Community Service. Students are eligible to receive both their varsity letter in community service and their President’s Volunteer Service Award. All students in grades 7-12 are eligible to apply and can earn the award each year. The award recognizes individuals in the United States who have achieved the required number of hours of service over a 12-month period or cumulative hours over the course of a lifetime. Hour requirements are based on age.
Students: Complete the following steps if you intend to earn either award
1. Click the following button and provide all requested information:
2. Begin logging your hours using the following button:
- Re-visit this page and log your hours each time you volunteer.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions to find out what counts as volunteer hours towards each award.
- Volunteer hours must be completed between August 1 and July 31 of the current year.
3. When you have completed award requirements, provide the information requested using the following button:
For additional information, please review the FAQ section below, or contact Community Service Lettering Advisor Sara Pennebecker at email@example.com or Assistant Principal Aaron Drevlow firstname.lastname@example.org.