Assessments and Referrals to Early Intervention Services

Do you have concerns about your child’s vision, hearing, moving, talking, play, learning, behaving or has your child had a medical diagnosis that affects development? Some babies and young children need extra help to learn and grow and Stillwater Area Public Schools is here to provide that help.

Children must first be assessed to determine if they are eligible and in need of special education services. Assessment staff include ECSE teachers, speech/language pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, and school psychologists.

An assessment and potential referral to Early Intervention Services can be made through:

ISD 834, Stillwater Area Public Schools

Help Me Grow, 866.693.4769 or


There are two programs that children may be eligible for depending on their age. These services are made available through a federal law known as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). These two programs have different eligibility criteria and programs and services available to your child and family.

  • Part C of IDEA is the Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers (children ages birth to two) 
  • Part B of IDEA is the Early Childhood Special Education Program and Services (children ages 3-5)

If your child is eligible for Early Intervention or Early Childhood Special Education services, early childhood specialists will work with you to plan the services and supports that would be appropriate for your child and family resulting in an individualized plan:

  • Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) for children ages birth to two.
  • Individual Education Plan (IEP) or an Interagency Individual Intervention Plan (IIIP) for children over age 3.

These core services may include determining eligibility (screening, evaluation and assessment), specialized instruction, parent training, related services and service coordination.



If your child is not eligible for early intervention services, your family may be referred to other community (public or private) agencies for further assistance and support. These organizations could include the Follow Along Program of Washington County.