Student Health and Wellness

See Policy 533: Wellness

Our wellness policy is helping to create smarter, happier kids and a healthier community. The school district is working together with parents, teachers, doctors, dietitians and our community to strengthen kids’ minds and bodies. Our revised policy is all about getting kids moving; serving nutritious meals, snacks and concessions; creating safer environments for kids with allergies, medical conditions and other dietary restrictions; and making it easier for kids to be active and healthy beyond the school day. 

Emergency Contact Information

At the beginning of the school year parents/guardians will be asked to update their child's emergency information in Skyward. It is necessary that we have your phone numbers as well as phone numbers for two additional family members or friends who can be contacted in case your child has a medical emergency or needs to be picked up from school. You'll also be asked to share any information about special health conditions or medications that emergency care providers would need to be aware of in the event of an emergency.

Please notify the school immediately of any changes to your child’s emergency information during the school year.

Return to top

Minnesota Statute 121A.15 requires every student enrolled in school to be immunized against certain diseases or file a legal medical or non-medical exemption. This law includes students enrolled in public and non-public PreK-12 programs, as well as childcare, preschool, alternative programs and home school programs. 

Students will not be able to attend school if their immunizations are not in compliance in one of the following ways: 

  • Immunization Form (or the Immunization Form - Spanish) can be used to document vaccinations and/or to claim an exemption from the requirements for medical or non-medical exemptions. (Schools will accept other versions of immunization records too as long as all required immunizations are listed.)
  • Medical exemptions must be signed by a health care provider.
  • Non-medical exemptions must be signed by a parent/guardian and notarized.
For more information, visit our immunization webpage.

Return to top

Health Conditions
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the appropriate school staff of any medical condition that may impact the health or safety of their child during the school day or in school activities.

Illness/Injury at School
When a student becomes ill or injured at school, they are evaluated by health office staff. The parent/guardian or designated emergency contact will be notified if the student needs to go home or if parent/guardian consultation is required. If emergency care is needed, 911 will be called.

When a Student Should Stay Home
Students should stay home if they are experiencing upper respiratory/cold symptoms with frequent coughing and/or runny nose, diarrhea/vomiting within the last 24 hours, fever of 100 degrees or more within the last 24 hours, ear pain with drainage, strep throat (until 24 hours after initial dose of antibiotic), an open wound that cannot be covered. Contact the school health staff with any questions.

Return to top

Homebound Instruction

Homebound instruction may be provided for a student who will be absent from school for an extended period of time (three or more weeks) due to illness or injury. A teacher may be arranged to provide instruction for your child at home so they are able to stay current with school work.

Return to top

The following must be provided before a medication (either prescription or over-the-counter) may be administered to a student at school: a written authorization from a parent/guardian, and a signed order from the licensed prescriber stating the name and dose of medication, times and duration for administration. Medications must be sent in the original container or pharmacy-labeled container.

If a student is to self-administer a medication, parents must submit the Self-Administration Form. Students may carry asthma medication and an EpiPen at school. Secondary students may self-administer and self-carry non-prescription, over the counter, pain relieving medication at school provided that they have written parent permission, the medication is in its original container, and the medication does not contain ephedrine or pseudoephedrine.

Return to top

Minnesota Health Care Programs

Minnesota Health Care Programs have free and low-cost health insurance for children and families who qualify. Income is one factor for qualifying. Other rules and limits apply. For more information, call your county office or visit the MN Department of Health website
To get a MNsure application for health coverage and help paying costs (DHS-6696):

• Print one from the Internet

• Call (877) KIDS-NOW toll free

• Call Washington County at 651.430.6459 

Return to top