Children are eligible to enroll in kindergarten in District 834 Schools if they are five years old on or before the first day of September. It is recognized that some children may have exceptional skills and are ready to begin their formal education before they reach that age. In order to provide for these children, the Board of Education of District 834 has established a policy for early entrance.
For the fall of 2017, District 834 will consider for early entrance to kindergarten, only those children whose birth date falls between September 2, 2012 and October 31, 2012. Early entrants must show good physical health, emotional maturity, good social adjustment, exceptional pre-academic skills, and superior intelligence. There must be evidence that the child will experience success with the total school program.
If you would like your child assessed for possible early entrance to kindergarten please follow these steps:
- Return the enclosed questionnaire providing complete and concise answers to all questions.
- Send a birth certificate (which will be returned to you the day of assessment)
- Send a check for $125.00 made out to Stillwater Area Public Schools.
- If you decide not to have your child assessed, you may request of refund of $100.00 ($25.00 non-refundable).
- If you qualify for free or reduced lunches, this fee will be waived. Forms are available on the district website.
- Return these items by May 1, 2017 to:
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten Assessments will be held in June of 2017. Appointments will be scheduled during the month of May.
Stillwater Area Public Schools
1875 S. Greeley St.
Stillwater, MN. 55082
Attn: Bob McDowell
An appointment will be scheduled during the months of May and June, for an individual assessment of your child by a school psychologist. If appropriate, further evaluation in a simulated kindergarten setting will also be conducted in June. The results and recommendation for early entrance will be shared with you and the home school principal who will render an enrollment decision. School registration for early kindergarten will only be accepted after the full assessment has been completed and the student is found eligible for early admittance.
If you have moved into the district after May 1st and would like your child considered for early entrance, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
Please call the District Office, 651-351-8405, if you have any questions regarding early entrance.