Free & Reduced Meals

Please Note: Families MUST fill out a new application for benefits at the beginning of each school year or benefits will expire!

Who can qualify for free or reduced meals?

Children in households participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), and foster children can get free school meals without reporting household income. Also, children can get free or reduced school meals if their household income is within the maximum income shown for their household size on the instructions. Approval for school meal benefits is good for the school year.

Breakfast is free for those students who qualify for free or reduced meals.

Click here to see a list of additional resources available to those who qualify.

Application Information

There are two ways to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; Online or On Paper

Apply Online


Download the paper application

Apply Online 

Utilize the SchoolCafe app or website to submit your application online.

View instructions


Download the Application for Free & Reduced Meals

Cover letter and applications are available after August 1 at individual school offices or at Stillwater Area Schools Central Service Building. Please return completed paper applications to: Stillwater Area Schools, Nutrition Services, 1875 Greeley Street South, Stillwater, MN 55082.

When completing the application, please read all the instructions and other important information and complete all appropriate sections. Incomplete applications will be returned resulting in a delay in processing.

Need your free/reduced letter?

If you need a copy of your free/reduced letter here are the options.

     1.If you submitted your application online, you can go into your schoolcafe account and print it off. 

     2.Check your e-mail. Most letters were sent via e-mail. Be sure to check your spam folder. Please note, letters are sent to the e-mail address listed in Skyward under Family One.  

     3.Call 651.351.8326 or e-mail and request your letter to be e-mailed to you or printed and mailed. You can also request the letter to be printed and you can stop and pick up at the Central Services Building located at 1875 South Greeley Street in Stillwater.

Pursuant to United States Code, title 42, section 1758(b)(6)(A), the Department of Education shall enter into an agreement with the Department of Human Services to share the eligibility information provided by each school for the limited purpose of identifying children who may be eligible for medical assistance or MinnesotaCare. Parents must contact the school district in writing if they choose not to have this information disclosed.