2016-2017 CogAT update:
CogAT results will be sent home with students on December 22, 2016. If your child qualified for GATE school entrance you will recieve an additional informational letter with the results. Click here to view GATE entrance criteria. Click here for a parent guide to reading CogAT scores. Cluster identification will be determined mid March after meeting with all teachers to discuss scores.
Stillwater Area Public Schools has adopted research-based best-practice assessments to determine which students need specialized instructional services and programs to meet their full potential. Assessment procedures are specific to the student’s age and grade level and may include but not be limited to:
- Cognitive (general intellectual) ability tests
- Achievement tests
Classroom performance, all assessment information and additional data is reviewed by a building/district identification team to determine whether or not the student is in need of specialized services and/or programs including the possibility of course or grade level acceleration.
All third grade students will be assessed using the CogAT. While this test can be used to identify gifted and talented students, more importantly, it is used to identify students strengths that are not neccesarily revealed with achivement tests.
Testing accommodations will be considered only for students on an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan.
Parents and/or teachers may request CogAT testing for any student as long as the request meets the deadline outlined below.
Full scale scores from outside IQ tests will be considered if they are completed by a professional included on this list.
2016-17 Important Dates:
- November 16, 2016: Deadline for parents/teachers to recommend CogAT testing
- November 29-Dec. 9, 2016: CogAT testing in all elementary buildings
- January 11, 2017: GATE applications due (This does not commit you to GATE)
- January 18, 2017: Families notified of GATE acceptance
- January 23, 2017: New GATE parent meeting 5:00-6:00 and Current GATE parent meeting 7:00-7:45 at Stillwater Junior High
- January 24, 2017: Potential student open house: Time 9:15-10:45
- January 26, 2017: Deadline to commit to GATE